contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.

Name *
Name

147 Wappoo Creek Drive, Suite 400
Charleston SC 29412

843.762.2222

IMG_6211.JPG

On The Boards


USC SOUTH CAROLINIANA LIBRARY, c.1840

Located on the University of South Carolina’s historic Horseshoe on campus in Columbia, the South Caroliniana Library is the oldest free-standing college library in the United States. The original 3-story structure, designed by Robert Mills in the Greek-Revival style in 1840, included only two exhibit galleries and a monumental spiral stair to a double-height reading room with a third floor mezzanine. The Bulfinch Reading Room at Caroliniana is believed to be designed in the style of the original Library of Congress Reading Room, since lost due to fire, thus creating a link to an important period and building in our Nation’s history. East and West wings were added to the building in the 1920’s along with electricity, and fire stairs and an elevator addition in the 1970’s completed the ‘U’ structure we see today. The project encompasses a restoration of the interiors, including a Finish Analysis by Building Conservation Associates in order to identify the earliest finishes for the historic spaces of the original 1840’s building. The project also includes a renovation of exhibit spaces and coordination with Healy Kohler, an exhibit designer, for integration of exhibits in areas open to the public. Design services also include close coordination with firm Jensen Hughes on the integration of fire protection throughout the building, as well as a clean agent system. A climate controlled archival vault design will house the most precious items of the Library’s collection, while the archival storage wing along with the rest of the building will receive a complete HVAC, plumbing, and electrical renovation.


JAMES ISLAND PUBLIC SERVICE DISTRICT FIRE STATION 1 HEADQUARTERS

The James Island Public Service District (JIPSD) is a special purpose district created in 1961 to provide services on James Island.  Through automatic aid partnership with other entities, JIPSD’s Class One ISO Fire Department provides Fire & Rescue services to over 10,000 homes and businesses on James Island and surrounding communities. The new Headquarters Station #1 will replace a 58 year old station at a new location that will enhance response capabilities and house administration, training facilities, the ladder truck, battalion chief, and reserve apparatus. The 12,400 square foot station is designed to reflect the lowcountry Sea Island character of James Island, and to complement the grand oak trees protected on the site. (Project Team: Liollio, G. Robert George & Associates, ADC, 4SE, RMF & Aiken Cost)


OLD CITY JAIL, c.1802

The Old City Jail is located on a four-acre parcel set aside for public use from Charleston's earliest settlement. The jail was constructed in 1802 and remained operational until 1939. Located at the intersection of Magazine & Franklin Streets, the jail stands at the exact center of the City’s Old & Historic District. No other property of this size remains so underutilized in so prime a location. Liollio’s work adopts the methods advocated by the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, as a method to analyze the scope of restoration that must occur before the building is put to future use. Without reinvestment now, the condition of the structure will continue to degrade and may become too expensive to revitalize with private funds alone. The project’s restoration and rehabilitation will create a premier mixed-use facility. This 18,000 SF structure will house a ghost tour on the first floor and separate office tenants on the second and third floors. The Old City Jail has obtained Part Two approval from the National Park Service. (Project Team: Liollio, 4SE, Live Oak & Aiken Cost)


CHILDREN'S MUSEUM OF THE LOWCOUNTRY

The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry is a non-profit organization that strives to engage young children to explore environments and stimulate curiosity through the power of PLAY. The existing 400’ long historic Camden shed (10,600 SF) will be renovated and a 9,000 SF two-story addition will be built along Ann Street to create a new front entry and public face for the Museum. Visitors will enter through a lively exterior plaza with brightly-colored skewed steel columns inspired by the childhood game Pick Up Sticks®.  The addition includes an expanded lobby, retail space, toddler area, a two-story vertical climber, birthday party room, and new exhibit spaces. New exhibits rooted in Charleston will be designed throughout the Museum. The renovation and expansion will allow the museum to serve more families and expand outreach in the community. (Project Team: Liollio, 4SE, ADC, Newcomb & Boyd & Aiken Cost)


LIOLLIO is an ISO 9001 Certified Firm #C0195740-IS2

©2019 Liollio Architecture, PC